Monday, December 28, 2009

Etiquette Answers during the Holidays

I found some questions and answers from my good friend Emily Post and I thought these were some excellent questions that most people might be interested in, especially during the holidays when family and friends are often around. Enjoy!

Gift Giving Gifts: How to Thank Them

Q: I had a dinner party last week, and several guests brought small gifts. I thanked everyone at the time, but now I’m wondering if one of the presents-a fancy crystal vase-calls for a follow up note. And if I do write to that particular guest, am I expected to write to all of them?

A: Thanking your guests in person (and I’m trusting you opened the gifts discreetly and not in front of those who came empty-handed) is perfectly acceptable, and no more is required of you. That said, written notes, especially when not obligatory, are a gracious way to tell people their presents are appreciated and enjoyed. As you suspected, however, if you send written thanks for one gift, you must send thank-yous for all.


Stained Sofa: Dealing with Messy Guests

Q: At a recent party, a friend spilled red wine on my beige sofa slipcover. She apologized but never offered to pay for the damage. The dry-cleaning bill is sizable. I don’t want to start a fight, but shouldn’t she pay up?

A: Absolutely! But she didn’t-and it sounds like she’s not going to. Here’s what I’d do: The next time you see her, give her one more chance to do the right thing by exclaiming how relieved you are that the stain finally came out-albeit with the dry cleaner’s help. Still no offer to reimburse? If you value her friendship, drop the issue. Pressing harder will only make for an awkward situation. Take her apology as sincere and try to see the silver lining-your couch has never looked so clean, right?

Via Emily Post.

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and Holiday!

Pugs & Kisses,

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails