Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Etiquette Wednesday

From all the rain we've been having in FL this week, Hera in her yellow rain suit

Q: The couple next door has a big dog, and they sometimes let him run free. I’m worried about my two small kids but don’t want to get off on the wrong foot with my new neighbors. What should I do?

A: This is the perfect excuse to converse with your new neighbors. Grab some baked goodies, flowers, or a bottle of wine, and go introduce yourself. Bring your children along, too–that way, they can meet the dog, and the couple will see how small the kids are. After chatting, ask your neighbors if they’d mind keeping their pet on the leash while the kids are outside. It’s always better to discuss potential problems before a dangerous situation occurs or escalates.

Q: While I’m chatting with a friend, I feel hurt when she cuts me off to talk to someone else. What are the rules of call-waiting-shouldn’t it be first come, first served?

A: It certainly should be. It’s important to end a conversation to take another call, especially more than once. If you have the call-waiting feature on your phone and you feel you must respond to a beep, do so quickly and graciously: “I have to answer this call, may I put you on hold for a second?” Then tell the other caller that you’re in the middle of a conversation and arrange a time to get back with them. Return to the original person and finish your chat with them without rushing off. If you are indeed experiencing an important call, let the person on the other end know up front there’s a chance you might have to cut the conversation short.

via Emily Post.

Pugs & Kisses,

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails