Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Etiquette Wednesday: Prying Friends


Q: Help! My friend constantly asks me how much I paid for things (my dress, my haircut, my apartment). It’s not exactly secret information, but her asking feels like an intrusion. How can I get her to quit putting me on the spot?

A: You’re right to feel uncomfortable. It’s not her business, and she should know better than to grill you. But forget about lying. As you say, most of these prices are public, so if she really wanted to find out, she could. Instead, be up-front and tell her the questions make you uneasy. Most people will take a hint, but if not, try a few nonanswers (“At least it didn’t break the bank”) and sooner or later she’ll get your drift – but not your rent.

via Emily Post.

Pugs & Kisses,

Dawn

1 comment:

  1. This is such a thin line of rude and not caring! I agree with you Dawn. You have to tell your friend. Otherwise she will have no idea that you mind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails